Six Sigma & Continuous Improvement
Central to Banneker’s business operations and Company culture is their devout pursuit of Continuous Improvement. To Banneker, Continuous Improvement is a core belief that the Company, their individual Team Members, Customers, Vendors and the supply chains they manage can and should strive to improve each and every day. This ideology of consistent and planned progress is much more than a marketing tagline, but rather a reality demonstrated by their game changing Integrated Business and Quality Management System (IBQMS) and realized by their customers:
We are always for continous improvement. It's great to see Banneker emloyees partnering with us and becoming involved in [our] Six Sigma projects as well as various lean initiatives.
- R.F., Fortune 150 Aerospace/Defense Customer
Composed of four key areas, Banneker’s IBQMS is a comprehensive proprietary Quality Management System that is built around the Company’s ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100 certifications, supplemented by a leading edge Lean Six Sigma Program and dynamic Company culture:
- Understanding that the key to the success of their Quality System is talented and devoted Team Members, Banneker focuses on recruiting and developing the best people in the industry. This development includes indoctrinating Team Members into Banneker’s culture of continuous improvement. Utilizing world-renowned training systems tools such as “Who Moved My Cheese” (creating a culture of change agents) and “The FISH Philosophy” (establishing a Team-based and Customer-focused culture), Banneker lays the groundwork for more formal continuous improvement training.
Lean Six Sigma Training
- The second component of Banneker’s IBQMS program is one of the most critical steps of their Quality Management System. Their robust Lean Six Sigma program involves six to eight months of rigorous classroom education supplemented with practical application of the processes involved and tools used. A Six Sigma project, which must result in cost reduction, efficiency gains and/or profit increase, serves as the graduating culmination of the training program, creating a special infrastructure of Six Sigma “Green Belts” within the Company. This training also includes “7S Training” – a workplace organization method whose focus is to organize and maintain work space areas for efficiency and effectiveness. Traditionally a 5S Program (Sort, Straighten, Shine, Standardize and Sustain), Banneker has added Safety and Security to their program to address the ever increasing needs of their Customers.
Business Process and Value Stream Development
- Building on a Team of motivated Six Sigma trained change agents, Banneker empowers their workforce to apply their skills each day to identify areas of waste and inefficiencies. Once defined, cross-functional teams work to develop and/or refine business processes, value streams and work instructions to drive efficiency and consistency throughout the Company.
Annual Internal and External Process and System Audits
- The final component of Banneker’s IBQMS focuses on periodic reviews of their entire Quality Management System. Each quarter, various cross-functional teams of Six Sigma Internal Auditors (“Green Belts”) are tasked to execute in-depth documentation and process assessments of all the Company’s various processes and procedures. Their goal is to determine the Company’s level of compliance to ISO standards as well as identify opportunities for improvement. In addition, Banneker’s system is also externally audited for compliance and effectiveness to ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100 standards by National Quality Assurance, USA, one of the largest and most respected ISO registrars in the world.